Pay close attention to the following precautions when using Fall Arrest systems:
- shock absorbing lanyards must not exceed 2 meters in length (including connectors); the maximum length for the Shock Absorber Limited is 1.5 m;
- the length of a potential fall must always be minimized with the proper gear and rigging;
- the possibility of a worker hitting something during a fall must be eliminated;
- avoid systems that could create a Fall Factor greater than 2;
- calculate the clearance distance below the anchor point to ensure that a worker cannot hit the ground (fig.7).
Clearance Distance = A (Lanyard length) + B (Shock absorber extension) + C (Distance between harness attachment and worker’s feet, 1.5 m) + D (Safe distance from the ground, 1 m). Refer to the tables below to calculate the requisite minimum clearance distances for different situations;
- rescue equipment (i.e. CAMP Safety Rescue Kit) and trained rescue workers are necessary for intervention in the case of a fall.
2029 Shock Absorber
|Length of Lanyard||2 m||4.5 m||5.4 m||6.1 m|
|1.5 m||4 m||4.9 m||5.6 m|
|1 m||3.5 m||4.4 m||5.1 m|
*EN 355 test with 100 kg rigid mass